PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Pacific/Fiji Airways
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2016, 11:08
Aloha_KSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice place to work.

Look, folks, this is a small airline. 5 737s and 4 A330s on the jet side. There are 3 ATRs and 3 Twin Otters on the FJ Link side. Not a major carrier. So of course things are not going to be like working for a unionized major. That being said, it's a very nice place to work. I have never not received a paycheck or my allowances. FJ operates to ICAO/ IATA standards as well as FAA, CASA, CAA, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. We fly to some pretty nice places. For tax, well, that depends on your contract. If you get hired with IAC - which I recommend - you'll be paid in NZD by an Aussie company. Can't speak for the other contract companies. If you're Yank, Aussie or Kiwi, I think you're responsible for tax in your country. There are some direct hire pilots who must pay tax in Fiji. The company has been good about honoring 10 days off per month, per the contract, but every now and then, to keep the planes flying we have to give up some days off. Any days worked over 20 get paid at OT rate. Fair enough. If you live in Europe or South Africa or Brazil and think you're going to commute, I suggest you pull out a globe and a piece of string and measure how many time zones you'll be crossing, and then think again. Even mainland US and Canadian pilots. It's 11 hours from LAX. And you leave on Thursday to get here Saturday, so you lose 2 days, really... Small airline. They cannot guarantee biz class like KAL or CS or whomever. THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT THE COMMUTE. IT IS NOT FUN. That being said, this is a good gig for Kiwis and Aussies especially if you are based in Sydney or Brisbane. Great for people who don't want to commute every month. Come explore the pacific. Bring your partner. Partner not willing to move?? There's your answer... Many have come to Fiji and used their 10 days off to explore Fiji, Oceania, and Australasia, and have had amazing experiences here. For everyone else, this is FIJI not Dubai. Please don't come here from half way around the world and then complain about the commute. Or the lack of nightlife/ shopping/ whatever. In fact, wherever you are thinking of going, be it Istanbul, Ethiopia, Shanghai, or Nadi... I STRONGLY recommend that you go spend at least a week there before you accept the job. After all, there's probably a reason that "Lucky" air pays $300K/ year...