PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2016, 08:19
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As to the Airbus fans, don't gloat too much about its design.

The Airbus fixed position lever has the advantage in that you simply click-up to TOGA position with the lever and the mode engages. This is easier than shoving up the T7 levers and at the same time pushing the awkwardly placed TOGA switch. I certainly appreciated that when i flew Airbus!
However, the non-moving lever in Airbus has a certain ambiguity as to the thrust deployment. At least Asseline (Habsheim) got trapped when going for that mode he didn't feel anything, thus distrusted the system, pulled the lever back to quickly re-engage GA, to make sure. By this the spool-up was interrupted and re-initiated and the process took too long.
On a Boeing, a keen pilot could realise the non-engagement of TOGA by the levers not moving up to full thrust. I appreciate that now on the Boeing.

So both systems can trap you, because knowledge is king, certainly, but quite often the stunning effect reigns!

What i would strongly suggest to Boeing, is to install the firewall switch from the MD11 (they own all patents). By shoving the thrust levers through this spring loaded firewall position, it would apply full available thrust, the FD command wings level, max pitch, AT off, AP off at any time with no mode reversal until the pilot decides to alter anything.