PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2016, 07:48
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots just watching the aircraft behaving by itself
Same observation here. More and more i see pilots switching off a automatically stabilised aircraft at 500ft, then staying fixated on the FD until the 50ft call-out. Then they look out, do a quick pull at 30ft and stop flying the aircraft. Mostly the inertia and ground effect do a good job. Instabilities are mostly ignored, leading to uncomfortable landings, or go arounds called and badly executed (QED). Not only on Boeings, just read the multiple ASRs on landings at a big ME carrier with VLAs. All the nice electronics can't hide the general loss of flying skills.

Couldn't fly a simple visual to save himself (Capt/TRI/TRE)
In many earlier contributions i criticised the too early progression of many pilots. Especially to the instructor tasks. I call them the pampers fraction.

"We decided to G/A. Normal G/A initiated after that we had positive climb so the gear was retracted."
The crucial question will be: Did the thrust obey the TOGA command, as a normal GA initiation was claimed, or was this initiation flawed.

"Speed dropped rapidly below the top of amber band due to W/S. W/S proc was done however the A/C crash landed"
The W/S procedure was rightly initiated.
Now irrespective of an eventual bad execution of the GA or a real presence of a W/S, i come back to what i have suggested in earlier threads: Wouldn't it make sense in such floating situations (low speed and close to ground) to go for this more aggressive solution (W/S or Pull-Up, manual with AP/AT off) right from the beginning?
As i had suggested earlier: Go for "moves" first: levers forward, yoke back, no conf change, pitch up to whatever seems reasonable. When you feel comfortable, then revert to the normal GA proc.