PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2016, 19:46
Danny42C

Military Life on the Malabar Coast......

NigG,

Must rescue this Thread from the Slough of Despond (aka Page 2 of "Military Aviation").

First let's turn to your:
... My only quibble is the absence of a further post from you... you can't leave us hanging...
The tale of my ill-fated amour continues to #44 or so, and the "wash-up" goes on to the end at #58 on Page 3.

Now to your:
... In fact if you had been to Ranchi, you might have encountered my mother in the Officers' shop, which she ran...
Ah, the Officers' Shops ! I recall that you could get Elgin Mills (Ahmedabad ?) khaki drill, infinitely better than the Stores issue stuff, (54in?) wide for a rupee or two a yard (was it - your Mother would remember), and cellular cloth for shirts and bush jackets. Must've bought yards and yards of the stuffs. Local dherzi would make it up for you into slacks, shirts and bush jackets for a couple of "chips". One mistake: at the end had no greatcoat, the Officers' Shop (in Bangalore or Cochin) had the optional blue serge cloth - but no Crombie. Bought a length of the serge, gave it to dherzi with a pukka greatcoat for him to get the idea. Made a woeful mess of the job. I think I gave it to my bearer when I left.

Now there is much more gold to be mined in your Post, and will return to it, but let me turn to your Father's Memsahib. She was in India at the times of my "ill-fated Amour", and would have been keenly aware of the major scandals going on. Please show her my tale - she may very well have heard of it, as the earlier part (up to the divorce) was the talking point of the season in S.India, and you mention that she was in Ooty for a while; perhaps she could add to it. If you wish, I could PM you with the real names.

Danny.