PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2016, 16:24
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOPS

"Maybe, just maybe, EK pilots should be allowed to hand fly more? I have an email, from a certain DCPB, that states ' hand flying has no value in this company' . This was from a 'ping' in the early days when I hand flew the aircraft above 5000 feet. ( What made it even funnier, was it was on a line check, and I was told by the TRE doing the check, ' the good thing about EK, as long as you brief non standard stuff, you can do it.) Learnt my lesson there.

Just my thoughts. (But DCPB I still have that email, signed by you ) "

The list of companies who have made, and are still making, this fundamental error is unfathonably long . . . . . the "blindness" of managers, many of whom were pilots before they sold out, should be (but isn't) incomprehensible.

As I side note, I had a former colleague in a well known loco, knew the manuals back to front, became one of the companies youngest Capts/LTC/TRI etc, he was one of the "select few" to get DEC with EK. Couldn't fly a simple visual to save himself, & he could never quite figure out why I did a face-palm whenever one of his "circling procedures" failed to put the aircraft in a position to land easily . . when what we needed was a "visual" . I doubt that the direction his former company subsequently went as regards raw data/hand flying changed anything after we parted company . . . . go figure.