PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2016, 15:30
ATCO91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting stats.
My senior manager runs movement figures for the airport where I work, and you can come up with different problems, solutions and trends purely by altering the way one looks at and perceives the figures and chats shown. So i commend what you have done, as the big wig stats can be misleading and non representative.

What is point in a basic service?
Well MATS P1 defines

Basic Service is a type of UK FIS provided for the purpose of giving advice and
information useful for the safe and efficient conduct of flights. This may include weather
information, changes of serviceability of facilities, conditions at aerodromes, general
airspace activity information, and any other information likely to affect safety. The
avoidance of other traffic is solely the pilot’s responsibility.

With that in mind i think it is important to remember that as a pilot, whether in a Heavy airliner or "puddle jumping" C150, you are ultimately responsible for the safe conduct of the flight. A Basic Service is exactly how it sounds, BASIC. Some units providing this service are NOT radar equipped and are in no position to turn you away from airspace. Don't be fooled if you are a given a squawk, it could merely be conspicuity, (i.e adjacent radar units know which ATS is working that aircraft). You are also one of however many receiving a service, some others may be on more advance services (Traffic, Radar Control) so they will have more attention.

What is happening to training?

I agree, some solo students and new PPL's are hard work. For some i think it is a fear of ATC (PPL's can be obtained without ever having to work a full ATC frequency, but that is a different debate altogether). I did my PPL with, 90% of the time a full, gleaming G1000 in front of me, but i did do some training with the standard 6 and had previous flying hours (passenger) with the 6 pack. It's brilliant knowing that if my GPS fails i know how to navigate home, however I do think that student PPL's should be given basic GPS training. That magenta line will not help you avoid airspace unless you plug the route in yourself to avoid it ( I mean that kind of basic training). I think the magenta line could be one cause of infringements, but that is just my opinion.

Generally i think the UK aviation community needs to get its house in order. The airspace mapping is a shambles and confusing. PPL's need to be taught to not be scared of ATC and to admit when they are lost. No one will report you for being lost, but they will report an infringement. But ultimately, I think everyone should talk more about their own experiences whether its face to face via an organised social, CHIRP, internal reporting system at the local flying club or here on the forums. Too many people shy away from sharing there close calls and incidents and that is not a proactive community.