PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASL/DHL overrun LIME/BGY Italy
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2016, 13:39
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks, that is a bad one.

I failed to manually pop out the SBs after TD a few times in a sim session when I was PNF and the instructor failed the auto pop up.
A nasty one especially if the PF had difficulty to stay on the centreline due to N-1 and or Xwind and You as PNF needed monitoring/assisting the PF.
In this incident most likely the adverse WX conditions like tail/crosswind added a load to the PNF's workload, so that he missed the SBs.

BTW, another one I tended to do was after a GA to keep holding the throttles during a GA, after the initial push. I just wanted to feel the ATS take over and feel the throttles "firewall".
Not all the instructors would mark that as a S- however, some didn't really care. Others followed the book and made a negative remark about it.
Personally I did not like it at all to release them.
It stems from my other flying in GA aircraft which I kept on doing (about 5.500 hrs) besides my airline career.
Most of the Cessnas and the likes had a bad habit of throttles creeping back if the "friction nut" wasn't tightened enough.
I taught my students never to release it, even while a C172 has a dangerous pitch UP effect when adding full power with full flaps (in trimmed condition), let's say after a simulated force landing.
It needs quite some pitch down input, but that diminishes quickly after the flaps are retracted in stages.

There is now some discussion about this matter in the Emirates Gear collapse thread. When it will be established that the throttles did not or were not advanced (sufficiently), we might have to review worldwide how to handle the throttles during a GA.

After having seen the pics and videos from the path the 737 followed during its overrun, I was wondering there was initially no report about the condition of the crew. There must have been some serious vertical loads on their spine.
I hope all the best for the capt, more and more I think it is one of those crashes where I was glad not to have been there at that moment.
I ended after a scratch free career, I do contribute this however also to a load of luck, even the best crew cannot fight bad luck.

Richard