PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2016, 12:13
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current tendency for the PF to press TOGA in a GA and rely on the autothrottles to do their thing, without keeping his hand on the thrust levers to ensure required thrust is set, needs to be reviewed

Admit; don't know about B777, but could be similar to B737NG.
Manual approach call GA, advance T/L's with straight arm - 2 hands onto control column - and call for flap change, call for PM to check thrust, after +ve climb confirmed call for gear up. Hand back on thrust levers when approaching level off.
Automatic approach with A/T: call GA, press TOGA, follow through with own arm and call for PM to check thrust, after +ve climb confirmed call for gear up. after mode changes a/c reverts to single A/P and A/T remains engaged all under the watchful eye of PF/PM.
Seems to work every time (00's) I've seen it in the sim. Not seen any problem PF having 2 hands on control column, assuming PM did their job of setting correct thrust after PF's rough application of more puff. I suggest this is not a black/white or right/wrong topic. Some pilots have strong opinions, normal; some airlines have SOP's, normal. Sometimes they differ, normal. Whose is the next round?