PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2016, 18:12
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for sharing your insight into some stats that perhaps we hadn't appreciated.

What is happening on the training front, why is pilot training still based on map, watch and compass?
An interesting point that is raised from time to time and with which I have wrestled, without a complete conclusion.

As an instructor, I would say that in order to use a GPS safely, whether in the air, on the roads or out on the hills, one needs an understanding of the basics of navigation. I believe that this is best taught using a compass, timepiece and a map. What perhaps is lacking within the PPL course is after the student has got to grips with the basics is to introduce the use of GPS. The trouble is that unlike the standardised 1/2 mil chart, there is no standard GPS. Our training PA28 has a panel-mounted Skyforce which is very nice and easy to use, other aircraft in the Club have Garmin 540. Personally, I use an 8" Android tablet with Skydemon for personal x-countries in a non-GPS aircraft. All these need different learning and couldn't all be covered during the very limited time on the PPL course.
I switch the GPS in the PA28 off during lessons, for the same reason that I cover up the Attitude Indicator etc, so that students get to use the proper external references when learning basic aircraft handling. I suppose those folk teaching in glass cockpit aircraft have to turn the whole lot off!

TOO