PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another attempted Serviceman abduction, this time Aldershot, be careful out there
Old 9th Aug 2016, 14:45
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the misfortune to spend 6 months in Aldershot 10 years ago on a Joint project. I was accommodated during the week in the Gun Hill Officers' Mess. I have never been in such a pig-sty; the contractors and the Garrison staff were in clear collusion with all sorts of 'additional mess charges' for publically funded activities. The food was dreadful - and I'm not picky. Just to say what a coincidence that the Defence Fraud Analysis Unit - as was - paid them a visit after I left.

I had my room broken in to by a drunk soldier who, after stealing my medals and credit cards, proceeded to sexually harrass some of the (rather attractive) nusing officers in the Mess. The RMPs did nothing until I stressed that I was a Lt Col equivalent. Medals and credit cards magically returned; offending soldier quietly RTUd to Hereford, and the whole matter swept under the carpet, 'cos the chap was 'special'.

And the barracks were grim; no wonder the end scenes in 'Quantum of Solace' - set somewhere in central Aisa - were shot in Aldershot.

And less said about the town of Aldershot the better. I think it is one of the most depressing towns I have ever visited in the UK.

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 9th Aug 2016 at 15:19.