PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2016, 10:03
framer

Received 480 Likes on 129 Posts
You are right to be concerned about the quality of training, but I wouldn't focus too much on the lowest ticket prices
I hear what you are saying oldchina but the lowest ticket price wouldn't be quite so low if the regulators had sensible bottom lines when it comes to things like training and pilot flight/duty times. The Rostov accident mentioned above by Portmanteau is a case in point. The Captain had resigned siting fatigue, it was 4am, he was half way through an eleven hour duty, truck drivers in civilised countries are not allowed to do the kind of duty hours that crew were doing and are required to have more rest breaks out of the vehicle. Yet it was legal.
The Airlines will always compete to get their overheads as low as possible, it is the applied law that determines how low they go. The ticket prices are a reflection of this problem and that is why I focussed on them.
I'm not in any way suggesting fatigue was a factor in the 521 crash, just using the above example as a way of highlighting that the regs are the bottom line whether it be maintenance, training,or flight/duty limits and they need to be sensible.