PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 logic - balked landing/GA after touch down
Old 9th Aug 2016, 04:38
singleseater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The air/ground logic for the 777 is ever so slightly different, but that difference may have a big effect.
While the logic works off the RAD ALT. the transition from Ground to AIR mode happens when the tilt is taken out of the main gear trucks.
So, as the aircraft rotates, the trucks tilt to the normal position you see on most pictures. after a delay, the "airborne" signal is given to various systems, notably the auto brake and you get the distinctive "click" as it turns off.
On selection of up, the gear is hydraulically driven flat as the doors open and then retracted. There is a delay for all this to happen and TOGA is not available until the "AIR" signal is delivered from the gear tilt.
So, TOGA is not available on the ground, hence when doing T+G's, the thrust is manually set. It is also not available for a definite period (2-3 seconds as a GUESS) after leaving the ground. This would also apply in the event of a bounce.
I have done many simulated bounce recovery's in the sim. Often you touch down again, It is possibly the most energy deficient maneuver I know: well below Vref, nose high, no power, engines near idle and no time!!!
If the TOGA switch's were pushed any time before this "AIR" signal--NOTHING
So
READ and UNDERSTAND the FMA
Back up (or beat) the automatics. I can not imagine a situation where I would not manually push the T/L up, But I was not there!
It is NOT a go-around, leave the config. alone until ground clearance is assured.