PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2016, 02:38
bobdxb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakape
Mr Bailey is wrong, despite all his experience.
Hehehe, don't shoot the messenger, personally know Capt Bailey from B727 days in Emirates and in a way he is right but again whatever was and will be said either in the press or social networks, general public not always understand and don't need to understand therefore let this be part of future training sessions after investigators give more details.

Many on this forum speculate too much, I believe the cockpit crew was trained within same standards as was cabin crew in their part of saving lives.

And for those who continue to debate issue of TOGA been applied or not, I have googled report of French BEA, B777 Air France (maybe it was mentioned here before)...saying clearly:
====================
quote:
On approach, descending on the flight path, pushing the TOGA switches leads to selection of go-around thrust guaranteeing a vertical speed of at least 2,000 ft/ min, automatic disengagement of all of the previously selected AFDS modes, and automatic engagement of the go-around roll and pitch modes. Pressing a second time leads to selection of maximum thrust.
and conclusion:
This serious incident was due to the inadequate monitoring of flight parameters by the flight crew (and this is the part where I believe the 521 crew failed).

The following factors contributed to this:
  • Partial execution of the go-around procedure;
  • Inadequate management of the automatic systems during execution;
  • The conflict of plans of action between respecting the operators instruction and continuing the landing, which seemed to be safely possible according to the manufacturer.
=========================
unquote