PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific now hiring FO's again
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2016, 23:44
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe they've done you a favour. As frying pan and fire come to mind, I have posted this on the Fragrant Harbour forum for your reading pleasure:

When I joined as an A Scaler the company was making record profits, with a pioneering and world-beating product. Perhaps then, our working G Days, helping out during typhoons, looking forward to going into training and going that extra mile had something to do with it. By a strange coincidence, the company's star started to wane after B-scales and then lower were introduced.

Prospective joiners reading this thread, do your due diligence on the cost of living and quality of life in Hong Kong. Also, you need to be aware that the airline is a one-trick pony due to the limitations of its crowded hub airport. You may never see a command due to this, the numbers ahead of you and its relatively young captains.

Don't be sucked in by the prospect of a base in your home country. There hasn't been a new base slot in mine for nearly a decade, and there will be 3,000 pilots senior to you. The company will never deny that bases are finished, which is a carrot dangling on the stick to get you to join.

And above all, if you accept a position with this lot, survive the 'training' system and end up sharing a cockpit with me, don't complain about your conditions, your tiredness, unhappy wife, living in Hong Kong or the 15-20 years to command (maybe). You have been warned.