PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Latest from EK Recruitment........
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2016, 19:23
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Tougher and braver'? Well, I don't think anyone on this forum could question her integrity or honesty. She fought for her principles and for improvements in T&C's. She also demonstrated dogged determination and tenacity in fighting her case through whatever means she had available and for that alone, she deserves credit and a certain amount of admiration. Certainly a true David vs Goliath. What I do question, however, is her lack of foresight in approaching her employer in the manner in which she did. Having the balls is one thing, having awareness of 'the game' is another. For someone so intelligent her ignorance in culture, both Company and National, was a massive oversight on her part. If it wasn't an oversight then it was arrogance, not ignorance, that became her downfall.

To compare her situation with that of a professional pilot is like the preverbal apples & oranges. The majority of pilots here left secure employment and everyone joined the bottom of the seniority list, mostly planning for the long term. Families have settled, with children established in good schools. Some have purchased properties. Wives may also have established careers or jobs here. Regardless, all will have made new friends. Their 'investment' can be considerable, both emotional and financial. A line Captain with under 15 years in the Company would be on a package of over $270K per year tax free with accompanying F class entitlement.

She on the other hand was a young single female in a job, not a career, earning a fraction of that. Of the two, it's fairly obvious which is the easier to walk away from. As for respect, that definitely works both ways.

So, I'm sure 'respect' is something our colleague Ashley, whom this original discussion is about, would appreciate just a fraction of right now. Or have we forgotten the purpose of this thread?

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 8th Aug 2016 at 20:09.