PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2016, 19:04
Gliderboy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerning how police involved

I'm interested in aviation and live in the area and was at Shoreham on the day.

What is really concerning me is about how Sussex police have made an application to the high court for priviliged documents and info including cockpit footage from the AAIB in so far as their own manslaughter investigations against the pilot Andy Hill. In so doing the police have to pursue the Secretary of State for transport legally. A bizarre situation.

I'm highly worried about this as the AAIB are the authority on investigating the accident, above the police obviously. If the police are successful in obtaining this information which enables them to follow through with their investigation and maybe take a certain course of action or decide on such action now, with the AAIB report or judgements in abeyance, that the police may directly or indirectly (from other government departments) have undue influence on the AAIB report outcomes. It could involve other government departments too. It just isn't right for me and I wouldn't be surprised if we have interference from too many vested interests in governments departments and organisations, that potentially a political and hidden judgement is made so far as causation of the accident in AAIB reports.

It's right the AAIB work entirely independently free of fear of consequences, then the police decide on criminal actions. The families of the victims would understand. This should then allow a view on the requisite levels of considered criminal negligence in manslaughter to decide what happens with a case against the pilot, if at all . I just wouldn't trust the police making judgements to pursue the pilot (with a case to the cps) backed up by the level of public angst of how it was ever possible this accident came about, someone looking for an easy scapegoat (the pilot) and politicians playing lip service to this.

The police have high instances of corruption and I really don't trust their meddling when irrespective of use of AAIB reports in criminal cases, if possible - effectively two parallel enquiries are on going seperately by two government departments with no wish to contradict, which it will be very hard not too.

Aviation accidents are caused by many factors normally and I just don't see how the pilot could ever be criminally responsible. But with officiousness of the police on his heels it wouldn't be too hard I doubt for them to present a case to the cps to prosecute. On the other hand the AAIB report is likely to mention many aspects to the accident, and it's right that Mr Hill is given the opportunity for the more independent AAIB and not police to act freely in the first instance. The worrying this is the police will have to take advice on causes etc, and the AAIB are the authority anyway, so this backs up my argument.