PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bossaso, Somalia Information (BSA / HCMF)
Old 7th Aug 2016, 21:11
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My initial reaction to the OP was to scoff, Security in Somalia? 2400m runway? Screening???

Google earth is out of date as much building has evidently been done there and it appears no longer to be the dusty earth strip and tiny ramp shown.

But what it has turned into beyond a fancy new terminal building is anyone's guess.

From an internet search there is talk of adding a Km to the 2600m and paving it (another Km - why???) - so is it not already paved? Who knows?

Security? Well, it's Somalia. One man's "security" is another one's teenage thug in shorts and flipflops with a Kalashnikov. Who's payroll is he on defines his usefulness as "security".

Baggage screening? Again, who is paying who? And to do what? With what?

Betcha there isn't a fence around the place or the goats would starve, what price "security"?

I reckon you're in the best place on this forum - someone current on the place will show up eventually but from the tone of your post I take it you're not familiar with Africa, much less Somalia if you're asking such basic newbie questions questions as that. It apparently sees some commercial activity. Hope for your sale one of them reads PPRuNe.

Until then I'd suggest you stay well away as I don't think you're going to be the least bit comfortable with what you'll find there.

Somalia is way beyond left-field bandit country. If your operating comfort zone expects RFF, marshallers, Customs, rules, ATC of any sort, approach plates and procedures, performance calculations, terrain analysis or pavement bearing strengths Bosasso is likely to be a very rude awakening. It isn't much of a dirt strip , let alone an "International Airport" if there are no plates available for it, is it? As for "security"...dream on!

Wait 'til someone who operates there regularly can give some real-time info.