PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to stop pax taking hand luggage in evacuation?
Old 7th Aug 2016, 15:29
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
@cooperplace; Your idea might have worked in the 1950's. Sadly, today's society is "f..k you" and nobody is going to comply with, or even remember a film they might have seen a year ago.

Lots of comments about stupid or selfish passengers, (and of course they are), but most people put valuable stuff in their carry on. Why?, because they know that stuff will get nicked or broken if it is "trusted" to the baggage handling system. Put yourself in the same position. You have to evacuate the aircraft but in the overhead locker is your laptop with 6 month's work and data on it; Your passport; your wallet with $/£/€/¥1,000 foreign currency; your iPad with loads of pics of your family on it; your credit cards, or the longhand draft of the book you are writing etc., etc.

Put yourself in the position of that passenger; if you can grab your bag as you go past would you do so, or will you say "Oh, that's OK, I will abandon it and claim it all back from insurance. Well, the money, yes. The hardware, yes, the passport, yes, but the data, the photos, the memories, the manuscript? What about another passenger taking it and stealing your identity?

I am not saying this is right or proper, I am simply saying that this is what people WILL do. Why do folk slow down to look at a car accident on the other side of the motorway, thereby causing a traffic jam on the unaffected carriageway? = HUMAN NATURE.

Telling people doesn't work anymore. I grew up when society used to behave and obey the rules. This is no longer the case; it is every person for themselves and screw the others.

Also, sadly, the authority and training of cabin crew is not respected. They are seen as trolley dollies. If the cabin crew consisted of army sergeant major types who shouted and barked at you, you would most certainly do what you were told - immediately. But a beautiful, delicate 20 something hostie, young enough to be your daughter?

Some of the things and abuse that our crews have to put up with from pax make me want to go and thump the passenger(s) concerned.

Just saying. Sad, but true.

Last edited by Uplinker; 7th Aug 2016 at 15:41.