PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2016, 10:31
Danny42C

MPN11 (#9082),
...I was indeed referring to the Royal Air Force Personnel Management Centre at innsworth, as I suspect you all knew anyway...
This one didn't ! Were they up and running in 1962 ? If so have bone to pick.

Enjoyable tour in RAF(G) coming to an end. Missive from them (or somebody performing their function): what were my preferences for my UK Posting ? Recovered slowly, with anxious wife applying smelling salts.

Suspected hoax, inspected document with magnifying glass, seemed kosher. Wrote back impassioned plea: "I'll go anywhere you like, any Command - but please not a Flying Training Command Pilot Training Station !"

Of course they were "havin' a larf", weren't they ? - I got Linton-on-Ouse.

Perhaps it was their revenge for 1954, when I'd "shopped" them for having posted me (subject to a medical height restriction of 10,000 ft) for a refresher on Meteor 7s (unpressurised) up to 30,000 plus, a couple of times a day - Weston Zoyland knew nothing about the restriction).

Decided not to tell them, completed Course without difficulty - (F.414 says I am a "proficient" Meteor pilot), trotted round to CMB with (I thought) an unanswerable case for having restriction lifted.

Nice old doctor dressed as Air Commodore wouldn't play, but looked thunderous when I told him about cock-up. Hope he gave them Hell !

Danny.