PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying thirsty and hungry during Ramadan
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2016, 02:26
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Muslim myself and I don't see any issue with it as long as he/she eats sensibly while the sun is down (not gorging themselves at sunset and ensuring lots of slow digesting complex carbs and protein for pre-dawn meal) and is otherwise fit/healthy. In my experience the ones who tend to have a problem with it are those who have never tried it themselves.

Would be sensible to fit the flight in as early as possible in the day. Although I think what emeritus is getting at above is actually down to the rush for commuters to get home in time for the meal at sunset rather than the drivers actually being drained. I've certainly seen it in the ME.

It is true that travellers are one group that are exempt from fasting (although they have to make it up after). Opinions differ though on what pilots are to do given the frequency with which they face this dilemma. Having said that, this applies to commercial pilots, flying for a living, who (to an extent) are forced to fly. It could be argued that in the case of private pilots (who can always just postpone their trips or solo training flights until after Ramadan) should just avoid flying if it's considered unsafe to fast and fly. Since getting my PPL, this is what I have done. Simply regaining currency after ~30 days of not flying during Ramadan isn't hard.