PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Straw poll - magazines
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 22:45
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to say that most newspapers these days are not worth buying but magazines are even less value for money.
I am receiving Pilot magazine on a free subscription from Archant but walking the few hundred yards from my gate to the house I had scanned it and thrown aside in the hall.

The front page is a stereotype UK GA magazine air to air shot of the F35B! Now how many UK private pilots will ever fly one let alone when will the RAF get to throw it around East Anglia?

Apart from fillers,so called news and adverts it is page 31 when we end the review of the fast jet followed by adverts and a few letters.

Then there is a gliding feature,nice but this is a GA magazine followed 'Old Timers' stuff that I used to read in Aeroplane Monthly.

Steve Slater fills a whole page of waffle on page 50 without ever mentioning his organisation giving a passenger a navigation award from the LAA.

Pages 52 to 60 are taken up with a personal flight feature and big boring pictures.

Note to magazine editors...we can read better realistic blogs on line ,such as Michael Peare ,who runs life and times of a flying instructor in Canada and Thailand. Life and times of a flying instructor traveller

The rest of the current issue of Pilot is just a big plug for Sywell which we all know is a nice place to fly in to but little more than a glorified period cafe.

In short Pilot is a glossy magazine with a lot of advertising,little or no content and certainly no real news.

I guess telling the truth why they send me this boring magazine every month free of charge.

My beef extends beyond flying magazine because I find the majority of the stuff you see on newsstands is glossy garbage.

Advertisers are only going to pay when sites deliver and Afors must have stolen all the classified aircraft for sale adverts?

Am I being unfair?

I don't think so but am happy to challege editors.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 6th Aug 2016 at 22:57.