PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Emergency DXB
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 17:14
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yaw string

Creating discussion is great as long as we remember that. I'm sure that the data has already been recovered and that the initial cause is known.

Firstly, what I'm about to say is completely unrelated to recent events and represents only my personal viewpoint on technique. It is meant purely for discussion on an aviation themed forum. Secondly, it refers only to the operation of Boeing aircraft. Other manufactures may have different procedures or policies.

There is, in my opinion, an over reliance on automation and this manifests itself in the final stages of approach. I have seen, on numerous occasions, colleagues leave the autopilot in as late as possible, sometimes as low as 200' on cavok but windy days. The result of this, often, is a last minute fumble and over control as they have to deal with the last few feet and a flare. This effect is compounded by the design features of the B777 automatic flight control system which alters the flying characteristics at 500' and 200'. To mitigate this, why not disengage earlier to get 'tracking' time of the aircraft and get a feel for actually flying it? There is absolutely nothing stopping you re-engaging an autopilot throughout the approach or even after the initial G/A manoeuvre being completed......correctly.

It is my strong belief that because we encourage maximum use of automation, regardless of conditions, that we're creating a future generation of pilots either too scared or reluctant to do what they're trained to do. The less they hand fly, the less they feel able. Confidence is a remarkable trait and can only be gained by exposure to flying the plane, not pushing buttons and watching. In gusty and hot and high thermal conditions, I would strongly encourage an early disconnect, not the late one you recommend. Poor visibility, however, is another issue altogether.

Finally, as I mentioned at the start, this post in no way whatsoever eludes to recent events and is purely a direct response to a comment. It is to create a valid and reasonable discussion amongst professional pilots to enhance awareness and improve safety within the industry.

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 6th Aug 2016 at 17:28.