PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 14:22
Danny42C

Once more into the breach, dear friends !

Back to work...

Bear in mind:

The pic was taken in Madhaiganj, not Digri, in the first days of January, 1943. I'd joined just a few days before.

Not all the Flight aircrew are there.

All aircrew named are Sergeants, except where otherwise stated.

There are only two officers there - look for the caps.

Names and wings are L to R (looking at pic).

All pilots are standing on wings. All navs and AGs are sitting on wings. Standing on wheels are two ground NCOs.

Erks standing and sitting below. Many faces familiar; names familiar - but cannot put together. Sartorially mixed bag. Have not been out long, as not chucked "Bombay Bowlers" away yet

On top of cowling is F/O R.C.Topley ("Topper") Flt Commander. His acting Flt Lt has not come through yet, signs as F/O in my log until end of May. Draped on prop boss is "Chiefy" - F/Sgt Darling.

Standing (L to R) Sgt "?", think (RAAF); Reg Duncan (RCAF); Self; across to W/O Doug McIlroy (RNZAF); George Davies (RAF); Bud Yates (Yeats ? RCAF).

Sitting Sgt ("?"); P/O Robertson (nav - not the one who nearly lost entire Flight en route Chittagong !), flew with me on first three (Akyab) ops in May; Duncan's dog "Spunky" *; another Sgt ("?"); across to hunched figure: Keith Stewart-Mobsby (we'd not "crewed-up" yet). Why was he not with me in May ? Dunno, malaria perhaps ?

Then three more ("?")s. Together with first two ("?")s, perm from Payne, Mills, Turner, Brown, Lewis, and Foster.

Two NCOs standing on wheels, Cpl/(Sgt) "?; Cpl Reavill. (one would have been a Fitter (1), t'other a Rigger (1).

Sad note *: "Spunky" got extensive and incurable (Doc Pete Latcham did his best) skin infection, fur coming off in lumps, animal was suffering, in March poor Reg had to take his pistol and do the last act of kindness to his (and the whole Squadron's) friend. Everybody broken-hearted.

More next time, must be careful now ! Avaunt, Gremlin !

Danny.