PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 11:58
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwscud
My view is that if this was a balked landing, spool up time is the biggest likely issue. With the thrust in idle, and the notoriously long spool time on the RR engines, an attempt to rotate for the go around with thrust wandering up from idle would be "interesting".

Can anyone tell me at what point the EECs go from approach to intermediate or minimum idle as all my FCOM says is "after touchdown"? If the engines had gone to a lower idle the difficulty could be greatly exacerbated.
My biggest question no matter the spool-up time, whether it was a balked landing, bounced landing, combo of both with or without a touch of W/S is why was the gear up or retracting before the aircraft was positively climbing? No GA, recovery technique. or W/S escape calls for raising the gear before pos climb established or escape completed.

Touching down during any of the above scenarios due to long spool-up time or W/S with the gear down and locked produces a much different outcome than if they are not. If the auto thrust settings are fussing things up on a GA for whatever reason you can still revert to manually getting whatever you need as long as you're rolling, not sliding, down the runway.

Last edited by PukinDog; 6th Aug 2016 at 12:18.