PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 08:54
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capn Bloggs

Glofish, curious about your preference for a GPWS escape. IMO, the "~4-5°" was given as a typical landing attitude (which is what Boeing suggest I aim for in my [completely different] type if I bounce it). I assume the idea is that, if the aeroplane slows down further and descends before the power comes up, it will again contact the ground on the wheels.

Pulling the nose higher doing a GPWS escape will only increase the chances of a tailstrike. Firewall power and 3°/second to 20°NU/stick shaker, I suggest, is not what you want to do if you bounce it.
I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, or propagate some new technique, the bounced landing technique by Boeing is certainly prevalent. At least as long as we're talking bounces of a few feet.

The MD11 was very prone to bounced landings and had the same procedure in the books. After three hull losses however, there came another suggestion, namely that in such circumstances, especially when the bounce is pronounced and at least one of them went to ~15 feet, a standard go around, without intermediate 4-5degs, might be the better solution, the tail strike degrees becoming less of a problem.

We all concur that go arounds are not the best executed flight procedures, only the "expected" ones in the sim seem to happen smoothly. Most unexpected ones prove to be quite untidy. This especially if two procedures are at choice , like with bounced landings.

A heavy bounce puts you in an awkward position. You are an unknown amount of feet above ground and more often than not, you don't really know why the landing has come to this. Was it unstable? Wind shear? Wake turbulence? Bad technique? Something else? The only thing you know, is that you are hanging in the air with most probably little airspeed left between flight and stall.

If your decision is to go around, which most probably is the good solution, then the next problem is with what technique. This because a standard go around calls for "Go around, thrust, Flaps20, positive climb, gear up" and a pull up to the Flight Director.
As it turns out on the T7, the TOGA switch might be inhibited, therefore you have to realise that and then definitely push the levers forward manually. The Flight Director will not show a relevant pitch up until the system goes back to flight mode and a second push on the TOGA switches can bring it back to life. When this actually happens is not clearly described in our books. Fact is, that the "normal go around" is somewhat disturbed by flight guidance. This is a very difficult manoeuvre at a critical point with little time to react and it is almost never trained.

The most impending threat is heavy contact with the ground which can very rapidly develop into a full blown crash, as demonstrated.
If it was due to wind shear, we should opt for the WS escape manoeuvre, which calls for AP/AT off, full thrust, wings level, pitch up to 15deg (or StSh) and no configuration change. The same applies if you deem the more threatening issue a disabling ground contact/crash and go for a "pull up" procedure with up to 20deg (or StSh).
These procedures are trained more often and are easier to apply, they work irrespective of the actual flight guidance modes.

Therefore my "suggestion". I can only guess, but with some experience in my backpack, i am pretty sure that avoiding a crash with heavy bounces might be more successful this way.