PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 08:38
ArchieBabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has there been an "incident" at DXB ?
After the initial "burst" of (mixed) reportage, there's now nada.

It is a far cry from how Deborah Hersman handled the Asiana 214 crash at SFO.
The NTSB had faced criticism before, so they went for the "transparent" approach. And in my humble view, it worked. What was seen was a competent, open and honest investigation....

....and I wouldn't hold your breathe. You won't be seeing that approach from the GCAA out in the sandpit.

The only "more later" images/information/factoids we have seen, has been via "third parties". Footage and (ATC) audio "supplied" by passengers who happened to be there or websites monitoring the tower. Officially, there has been "nothing".

The Emirates Group Chairman, CEO...the Chairman of Dubai Airports...the Chairman of Dubai Air Navigation Services... and President of the Department of Civil Aviation (the ONE and the SAME) Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed al Maktoum has given a televised statement and a Press Conference....which was a bit like watching a 1980's USSR State Address/Public Information broadcast.
Nobody else sat with him on the platform, as he delivered his monotone monologue, mainly due to the fact that there aren't anymore aviation posts left, that he doesn't already hold.

And other than "the treat" issued by the GCAA for "publishing pictures/film of the crash on Social Media", there has been nothing else "official" forthcoming .

I do worry that "fatigue issues/working practices" at EK may have been a contributing factor in this crash. If they weren't, they still should be fully investigated...and then completely discounted. But what chance is there of that, when the Operator is so closely linked to the Regulator. Surely this a glaringly obvious "conflict of interest"...and it should be highlighted.

Deborah Hersman's Asiana investigation should be congratulated....
...whereas Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed al Maktoum's Emirates 521 investigation (wearing whichever aviation hat he chooses to wear), should be treated with caution.

I just hope, whoever gets the job of catering for the meeting between the chairman/presidents of the airline, the aviation authority, the airport and the navigation services....isn't too disappointed when they realise it just a "meal for one" needed !