PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASL/DHL overrun LIME/BGY Italy
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2016, 04:46
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the right (or maybe better read "wrong") circumstances it is however a viable escape plan if you haven't opened reverser sleeves, but, I have never seen it trained in Sim in 27 years of B737 Ops.

Exactly my point. In a few over-run accidents the reports concluded that the a/c could have got airborne safely if full thrust had been applied immediately after touchdown. The a/c still had enough energy with the (short) remaining runway; but it never had a change of stopping in time. It would take a major change in mind-set and huge courage to do so. The lowest GA I've seen in the sim is the mandatory 'wave off' at 50' caused by ATC. i.e. you do not make the decision, it is commanded. Even a W/S GA is at a higher height and in new generation a/c is a command; but in severe conditions lower down it should be obvious. Watching the various youtube videos of very low GA's, due turbulence and instability, I am impressed by the decision making to do so, less impressed by some of the 'press-onitis' demo's. For the turbulent GA's it is pilots' decision and they must have felt falling over the edge in terms of being in control of the landing manoeuvre. Well done to them; but it is a totally different decision to make once the wheels touchdown and the end of the runway is looming. You know you've landed long, be it via a float, balloon or incorrect GP below 500'. Indeed you know you are going to land long well before touchdown. The manoeuvre is not difficult, it is the decision that is foreign. Surely much of our training is to experience situations which can surprise us and to teach us what it feels like to manage the scenario, including the decision making process. Given that over-runs due to long landings is an occurrence every year, somewhere in the world, why not teach what to do as a final resort? Most operators think that by having a rigid 500' gate policy they have done enough. Not so. There are plenty of airports where 'late landing clearance' is used and an ATC GA can be called very late.
A windshear GA at very low level is difficult to create in a sim and in the modern jets the WS warning kicks in. What needs to be added in training is the pure pilot generated feeling of "I don't like this, so let's get out of here." Not an SOP, not an auto command, just gut instinct followed by action. Surely that is what simulators are for.