PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 6th Aug 2016, 02:14
hunbet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference is the photo I posted shows an A/C that had the engine operating within normal parameters while in flight.

The SIA A/C was operating with an engine at idle for about 2 hours.The fuel and oil was pooling in the engine exhaust tail cone and when they put it in reverse all of that fuel and oil was expelled out of there .

That A/C will probably fly again.The damage is all to flight controls and secondary structure !

I saw this A/c and the damage was far worse than SIA !

"I am surprised nobody else posted this info yet. On Tue, 27JUL04, a UPS 752 caught on fire while under going maintenance for a fuel leak. I think it was a/c 410. I have got pics but I left my camera in my tool box at work, I will load some pics when I bring it home. The fire damaged the pylon, flaps, aileron, flap track fairings. Heat damage seemed to be the fillet fairing, and the lower fuel tank structure surrounding the pylon. The airport fire department responded very quickly and saved the rest of the a/c. Currently the a/c is parked inside DL's hangar, yesterday reps from UPS and Boeing spent the day examining/evaluating the a/c. I will post more info and pics as I get them. "

It was repaired and flew away !