PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2016, 23:55
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Glofish
Especially in hot conditions with an underpowered aircraft, the situation will look more as a impending stall than a bounce recovery. Therefore giving pitch values is delicate. With 5 degs a -300 will fall out of the air.

For such situations, i suggest (not teach) to apply the GPWS "pull up" warning procedure. Because it's something we train quite often and will save your day.
Glofish, curious about your preference for a GPWS escape. IMO, the "~4-5°" was given as a typical landing attitude (which is what Boeing suggest I aim for in my [completely different] type if I bounce it). I assume the idea is that, if the aeroplane slows down further and descends before the power comes up, it will again contact the ground on the wheels.

Pulling the nose higher doing a GPWS escape will only increase the chances of a tailstrike. Firewall power and 3°/second to 20°NU/stick shaker, I suggest, is not what you want to do if you bounce it.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Airbus' "Positive Climb" call is more reflective of what you are looking for than Boeing's "Positive Rate".