PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASL/DHL overrun LIME/BGY Italy
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2016, 20:05
justcruizin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relieved the crew (and especially those on the ground) were uninjured. For those who might be viewing these posts who aren't freight dogs; the sobering photos depict the risks involved of multi-sector night freight operations, often at or close to a/c performance limits, tired (hanging in your straps) mixed with challenging weather conditions and minimum fuel. Very often, we push the boat out to get the job done (and it's sadly taken for granted). We're all thinking the same thing of course. I decided to go around a few months ago from just above the runway (20 ft) (somewhere else) due to control problems in v strong Xwinds. It was a surreal situation in that I could hardly believe I was actually doing the GA from such a low level. Took all my concentration - little or no spare capacity remaining. The decision was a no-brainer but even so, the temptation for me to continue with the landing and to try and resolve it in the flare was ENORMOUS. Can't quite state that enough. It would have ended badly if I'd have tried to remedy it throughout the flare - no doubt at all.

I hope this crew will be afforded some respect. They're having a very bad time.