PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 5th Aug 2016, 18:09
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If people stay in the cabin of a plane on fire, history tells us that the risks for injuries and/or fatalaties are very great.
If people are evacuated from the cabin of a plane on fire, history tells us that the risk for injuries and/or fatalaties greatly diminishes.
not so simple,

One needs to parse the data down a few clicks with other historical combinations

The same history shows that most (never all) fatalities are associated with fire that reaches into the cabin creating things like deadly smoke.

Theory :As long as the cabins stays smoke free you have time for considered decision making.

Once you open doors you create the entranceway for an external fire to enter.

As such you may notice in photos that the fire runs along the top inside (thermal effects) concentrating visible damage near open doors.

As a passenger I expect that once the doors are opened and fire starts to come in with smoke I have less than two minutes left to get out. As such I'm quite willing to listen for instructions of when that two minutes starts my personal panic clock.