PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada/USA
Thread: Canada/USA
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2016, 17:00
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will get you started for a license conversion to fly. It can be done by most flight schools and takes maybe an hour or two. The only catch is if there are hour differences between your license and the Canadian equivalent that may require "clean-up" hours. When I converted my NZ CPL to a Canadian CPL I was short 5 hours of night PIC, so had to do that before they'd issue me the CPL.

As for clubs, try Spectrum Airways in between Milton and Burlington.

Home - Spectrum Airways

Otherwise there is a great club out near St. Catharines HOME - St. Catharines Flying Club. Their CFI from 10 years ago or so did my MEIFR ride - very nice and down to earth gentleman who made it seem you were the only person in the world he wanted to be talking to at that moment. I'm sure if he's still flying, that he'll still be there.

Each club will have a minimum number of hours required for insurance purposes, so you'll only find that information out by calling them. From memory Spectrum was something along the hours of one hour per month after completing their check-out flight.

As for where to fly - anywhere in the golden horseshoe is a great place to fly. The Toronto to Niagara Falls corridor is gorgeous, takes about 2 hours to do it properly and is a great mix of busy flying and talking and general looking out the window. From there, down near Lake Erie to Windsor, up the river to Lake Huron and back would be a great day trip to take in what Southern Ontario has to offer. Otherwise, point the nose north and head up Barrie way or east towards Trenton and the 1000 Islands. Really, you can't go wrong whichever way the nose is pointed!