PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASL/DHL overrun LIME/BGY Italy
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2016, 15:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for those who commented about the Landing weight. I was wondering if a light weight might have lent itself to floating, especially with tailwind. However, both seem to be discounted, expect a gust/burst from the TS's might have caused a momentary tailwind.

Slightly off the direct topic, but relevant. It has been said many times, and also recently on the Emirates gear collapse in Dubai topic, that all engine G/A's are often the most messed up manoeuvre and the least practiced. Considering the number of overruns from long landings: it is possible in very a/c I've flown to execute a G/A from the runway until the TR's are selected. It is a scenario I have never practiced in 35 years of Boeing flying; yet many overruns could have been avoided by doing just that. Busting the gate at 500' is one thing, flaring and floating is another opportunity to G/A, even after touchdown it is possible to G/A BUT takes huge amounts of courage & awareness to change the mindset of landing. I'm certain that once experienced, in the sim, that doubt/fear would be reduced significantly. Yet, none of my airlines had seen fit to include it in an recurrency training. DAFT. There's a real world out there, but some of the 'training?' does not seem the most relevant.