PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a fine/prison for taking luggage down the slide?
Old 5th Aug 2016, 09:23
lowca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a passenger that makes trips only with cabin baggage, I will allow myself for some comments.

I have pouch on my belt with money, passport, phone and travel documents. So I can leave my underwear and rainjacket that is stuffed in the bin overhead. And travel souvenirs. Bad luck, I will buy a new one after evacuation.

But in the original thread someone from India pointed out, that reclaiming visas, documents etc after loss is a costly, long and tedious process.
And then imagine somebody on business trip that has laptop put into the bin. Laptop is replaceable with some minor money. But the real value is the work on the laptop. FInancial data / artistic work / whatever that may not be recoverable ever.
And who will pay for that loss? Airline? Never. My insurer? Wow, have you read the smallprint on your policy?

And I find the idea to 'forbid bags on board' as a weak one. First airline that will implement it will get blasted with black PR. Not being able to take medicines / water / favourite snacks for children etc ... no, it will not work. And I personally would never choose this airline. Not being able for 4 hours to read a book, then play a while on the tablet, eat an apple, make some pictures from window?

I agree that bags on slide are strongly unwelcome. But I fear that the lot of passengers will take their carry-ons with them anyway. Just because they feel that some things inside are very valuable or irreplaceable. Locking bins will not help, will cause chaos.

I fear that the process of making a remedy for that misbehaviour will produce some deadly solution.

Thus said I return into reading mode.