PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a fine/prison for taking luggage down the slide?
Old 5th Aug 2016, 06:29
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Espada. It is amazing to read some of the hysterical nonsense that finds its way onto this forum. "Lock 'em up!". "I' would knock them out" etc. Anyone who has experience of this part of the world will know how awkward life will become if you find yourself without documents. If you are a Third World national (Indian, Pakistani, Filipino etc) you could find yourself stuck there for years, literally. The consulates of many of these countries treat their own nationals no better than cattle. Look at the problems facing Indian construction workers in Saudi at the moment. They have lost their jobs and been dumped by their employers. The Indian government's response seems to be "Send 'em some sarnies", rather than get them on a plane and back home. And I am pretty sure the problems revolve around lack of documents as the employers will be holding their passports. Western nationals have the comfort of knowing that if they were stuck in a similar situation, their consulates will help them out. The passengers on that flight seemed to include a high number of families, so it is not a simple case of waltzing in with a passport in your breast pocket. I can bet they would have been carrying reams of documents such as birth certificates, education certificates etc and they would know what awaits them when they rock up at immigration with nothing! By the way, someone on the BBC calculated that the bloke making the phone video was on the tarmac within 80 seconds. As this is within the 90 second rule, where was the problem?