PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a fine/prison for taking luggage down the slide?
Old 5th Aug 2016, 01:30
Wot No Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punishment after the event will do nothing to prevent this. It just makes people in the industry feel better afterwards - 15 people dies because some idiot insisted on trying to take his bags with him, but at least he got locked up for 2 years.

Education or physical prevention are the only possible answers, and education is not a 3 minute demonstration 6 hours earlier where not smoking is repeated multiple times, but I can't remember ever being told not to take my bags if we have to evacuate.

Worse, each airline has different emergency procedures, which just adds to confusion when things go wrong, even assuming you can see the demonstration at all. A short passenger in the window seat 15 rows behind a short crew member giving the demonstration will see nothing. If you don't speak any of the languages used (normally a maximum of 2), you don't understand anything either.

All I can think of that would make a difference is for all airlines to standardise their emergency procedures and demonstrations, have passenger courses that would need to be at least 3 hours, and only permit taking hand luggage if such a course had been passed within the last 3 years.