PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pilot to Civilian Flying?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2003, 19:52
RoboAlbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bo25053

I’m a C-130 J guy just leaving the RAF. I’ve been lucky enough to gain an ATPL using several of the exemptions that are available for multi-guys. The full gen on these is at tga's site
However, like obs cop, I’d caution against joining the armed services if you just consider it as a means of getting your licence. From my experience of training and being on the squadrons, it’s not something you should attempt unless you think you’re really committed to a military way of life. If you have thought carefully about your motivations and what would be expected of you, then it can be great fun and utterly rewarding. As to what advantages it can give you in job hunting, I think it can be a double-edged sword. You may well gain contacts in various airlines, but I also get the impression that a military background can make you a bit of an unknown quantity and that may unsettle some prospective employers.

I’d be the first to admit that the self-funded route is very daunting - but would that be a better route if you feel more drawn to civilian flying?