PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio phraseology
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2003, 19:28
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cfi....

Just a little intrigued by your first scenario. Is it the "YXXX" in place of the placename, or is it something else?

As far as I am aware, the correct way of cancelling a Sartime is... "(the flight following unit to whom the tx is directed), postion/location of your a/c and the words CANCEL SARTIME?

What is the big deal? Might this wording might be a throw-back to the days when after landing at a GAAP aerodrome there was a requirement to cancel SARWATCH/SARTIME (call it whatever you like, or just SAR for short), on the ground with the ground frq? Did the flying schools at those GAAP airports actually ensure that their students had any actual exposure to cancelling their Sartime out in the sticks with HF radio before giving them a CPL?

Might it also stem from perhaps the continued use of HF in remote areas, and the associated problems with trying to get hold of flightwatch on the ground with HF. I know I've "Cancelled SAR" in the circuit area of some aerodromes because I know there is no way known that I'll be able to get HF coverage 1000' below me on the ground. I've also cancelled on the ground when I knew I could reach flightwatch easily. As far as I can understand the regs ask you to name position/location, NOT position or location. So if I've just landed, then my position in the circuit is "landed", and my place is "(insert local placename here)", cancel SAR. I refer GEN 3.4 - 27, 5.4.1, textbox 2.

I must admit to never having used a HF radio in an aircraft before my first flying job (but having said that I was already very familiar with HF, but on a marine radio level), so I guess I followed what I was hearing out there, which made sense to this simple minded individual, and seemed concise enough and to which EVERYONE seems to do out here.

Cficare, as long as someone has the nous to actually remember to cancel their sartime, then what is the big deal about just how they do it?

The ball is yours....