PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 4th Aug 2016, 03:52
BuzzBox

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
ACMS:
Buzz, if you suspect a fuel leak in or around the Engine ( which they did ) SOP requires Reverse thrust NOT TO BE USED as it can spread or spray the fuel all around the inside of the Engine cowling and it can ignite..............
So, they should not have even selected idle reverse at all on that Engine....
Julio747:
That is a normal landing. But #2 was set to idle already, 2 hours before landing. On the advice of engineers I understand. That is a very different scenario...
Having operated the B777 for over 10 years, I'm well aware of the SOPs. My understanding is the #2 engine was operated at idle thrust because of an oil pressure problem. Rightly or wrongly, the crew did NOT suspect there was a fuel leak associated with that problem. Under such circumstances why would you not apply IDLE reverse on landing?

ACMS, while we're on the topic of SOPs, the Fuel Leak NNC calls for the engine to be shut down in the event of an engine fuel leak such as you described. Clearly, the crew did not suspect an engine fuel leak, otherwise the engine would have been shut down, not left running at idle thrust.

Last edited by BuzzBox; 4th Aug 2016 at 04:26.