PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rear Admiral Parry does not hold back re the engine problems on the latest destroyers
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 21:25
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can assure you sir almost every truck on the roads does have a inter cooler !
Jeez! You clearly take me for a complete dummy and that's pretty offensive, especially as it isn't me that's just plain 100% wrong and I've explained it over an over again. Please excuse the thread drift!

On this forum we love to berate the meeja for sloppy technical inaccuracy and yet even amongst ourselves (unless fallmonk is meeja - his reply certainly suggests it) despite repeated reminders to RTFQ there are still some who blindly refuse to read the FQ and persist in refusing to accept the correct answer. How does one explain?

No, fallmonk, not one truck on God's clean earth has an intercooler. Read my post above to see why, it is there in black and white, why/how can you not read and absorb it??? It is perfectly plain.

If my words of two syllables are too much try reading Out Of Trim's post, that says exactly the same thing in different two-syllable words although that too drifts off into the long grass when it describes automotive use.
An intercooler is any mechanical device used to cool a fluid, including liquids or gases, between stages of a multi-stage compression process,
Do you know any cars/trucks with two-stage supercharging? No, you don't. Unless you wanted to go drag racing on Everest there would be no point, would there?

If it is a Merlin 61 (Am I right there?) or similar optimised for high altitude work with back to back or two-stage supercharging the cooler in between the stages is - guess what? An "inter"cooler.

If however it is single stage supercharging, as it is in EVERY earth-bound piston engine I've ever heard of (trucks, trains, Astramax vans, Chelsea Tractors etc) the cooler "after" the blower is an "aftercooler", regardless of incorrect labelling by the technically challenged manufacturer/boy racer in question.

The most basic awareness of the different purposes of supercharging would make all this completely obvious, so perhaps if it is not clear a bit of a refresher on supercharging is in order?

This isn't being pedantic, it is a very simple definition between two quite different applications, each of which has its correct name and is just very, very basic supercharging theory that every CAA CPL stude should know if they've sat that particular paper.

Last edited by Wageslave; 3rd Aug 2016 at 21:49.