PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joys and complications of teaching emergencies
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 07:44
BigEndBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my time I have had four engine problems up to 1993.
Since then non, so it looks like the engines are getting more reliable (or me lucky).

1/ Whilst learning to fly PA28, with instructor, PFL, at 200 feet asked to go-around, no response from engine, we landed in wheat filed.
Lesson learnt.....warm the engine and I like to see at least 2-3 times from starting at 2500 feet and full throttle check. Also always pick a field you can get into just in case.

2/ Instructing C150, losing power approaching airfield, chopped power and committed to x/w runway. Next day warned another instructor that the a/c should be grounded, he flew and immediately returned to a/f for a forced landing.
Lesson learnt...slightest suspicion of anything wrong ground the a/c. It apparently had a history of problems. Engine strip, one piston was breaking up, piston rings gone.

3/Loss of power PA28 at 6000 feet doing stalls above overcast haze.
Engine power slowly restored whilst me trying to fix problem and fix my position.
After landing engine stopped and caught fire. Discovered extinguishers only last about 3 seconds. Carb mod not done caused the issue.
Lesson learnt..in an emergency let someone else do the nav. I could have called for a VDF QDM to the field and concentrated on keeping the engine going. a/c ADF u/s.
Although once given a QDM across a built up area following another engine problem, so not always the best.

4/ Partial power PA28 with very rough engine on a T/L at 1300 feet.
Committed to put down straight ahead into a field. Could I have made it back to the a/f 5 miles away? Well I am still here and so is the aircraft, so good decision.
Fault was exhaust valve failure, which punctured the piston head.
Lesson learnt..commitment, make a decision and stick to it.

So all of these have coloured my out look on (p)fl's.

P.S. I have witnessed a trainee kill the good engine on a check flight in a Seneca over the Channel by switching off the mags on the live engine, so using the checklist can't prevent finger trouble. Switching them back on two seconds later is what made us sweat!