PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this safe? Need reality check
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 00:05
Phrogger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legal restrictions

Thanks for your replies, it helps to know it's not just me. I do think what they're asking me to do is unsafe, and I've limited it to true urgent reports for the time being. Hopefully they won't push me any more.

For argument's sake, the law about cellular use in the air seems to be not enforced or at least widely ignored. My A20 headset has a bluetooth receiver specifically for making calls from the cockpit via cell phone. Additionally, I've flown in a Cirrus model that has the capability to call right from the MFD. I don't even object to calling from the air, it's doing it at 500 feet that concerns me. The legal ban is based on concern about cockpit instrument interference and there's nothing that a cell phone can do to my 172 to make it fall out of the sky. Actually, the texting is far worse (think texting and driving). FAR 91.21 limits the use of personal electronic devices in the cockpit only for "air carrier operations." In any case, their use is permitted if their use is for purposes related to flight or company operations, which is a big loophole.

I'm finding that aerial pipeline inspection seems to be loosely regulated. My "training" consisted of two short flights and a couple short tests which anyone could pass with 15 minutes of study. I could name a dozen things that would make it safer: Higher altitude, use an observer, have an autopilot (at least alt hold), install TCAS/ADS-B Out, etc. But in the end, this is a bottom-feeder job that only the desperate and crazy would do, and they cut all kinds of corners to keep it cheap (although to be fair the plane is in great shape). So wonder which one I am, and how long I should do this?