PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R66 crash in Wikieup, Arizona, U.S.A., kills 2
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 22:13
LRP

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gator2
Thank you Paul for the comments based on experience. I had a conversation with my FAA flight examiner on this topic last week. His assertion was that low G from turbulence was an entirely different animal compared to low G from a pushover. This due to relative wind past rotor in pushover vs relative wind up through rotor in turbulence. I'm not buying his explanation, but he's got 10,000 hrs flying Robbie's in the mountains here so I am not going to argue with him. Do you agree with him?

Also, I can not figure out why the correct and quicker response to the right roll is not right pedal along with the collective easy back? Your experience with the R22 student who pushed over with pedals neutral would seem to support that neutralizing the pedals did away with the roll.
Jamming right pedal will unload the T/R, no doubt, but you need to be right the first time. How much do you put in? Trial and error isn't an option, and practice could be dangerous.

Aft cyclic is the safest/most practical and proven recovery technique.