PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LGW ATIS
Thread: LGW ATIS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 21:25
ATCO3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]
As I agree that many pilots clog the frequency by irrelevant calls, I think the controllers blog the frequency by putting pressure on us to make their plan work. When I (we) get our line up clearance we will be ready. It is completely useless to tell us to be ready for an immediate. It doesn't change anything to my take off.
I don't want to generalise and it might not change YOUR take off but there are some pilots and I could even say airlines that think they are the only ones using the runway and don't understand high intensity single runway ops so unfortunately when radar don't quite hit the spacing or someone dawdles on the runway or someone doesn't slow at the same point/rate etc etc we need to make it work so you get airborne and the lander gets a safe landing clearance.

Be ready immediate followed by cleared immediate take off DOES make a noticeable difference to performance in most cases and engines spooling as you get the read back is a great sound to hear.

And worse, telling me to take the 1st exit just after I touched down and still run with more than a hundred knots over the runway, checking our spoiler deployment and deceleration. Again, we know we need to get off the runway, but don't put pressure on us because you decided to line up a big airplane in a gap that really is too small.

I know you need to make your targets of runway movements per hour but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. If in doubt just don't line them up, you may make a very inexperienced FO very nervous who will slam the brakes, making all the pax hitting the seat in front of them, only to realize the first exit is not doable and then having to roll low speed to the next.
We don't have ATC quotas but we do try to SAFELY and efficiently move as much traffic as we can each hour partly because we have to because the airport have sold so many runway slots but also because it's our job and efficient use of the runway is how the airport and airlines make their money.

I agree controllers should make requests to exit etc when at to high a speed that should all be planned and requested ahead which is how controllers I know work.

In a perfect world all gaps would be as requested all speeds standard and every aircraft would land and vacate as quickly as safely possible and line up and take off with minimum delay but then I wouldn't need all the training and experience to work at busiest single runway airport in the world.

Rant also over. But on a serious note visit the tower see what the issues are from our side of the mic we are more than happy to take on board suggestions where we can improve but as I said we unfortunately have to treat aircrew as a 'lowest common demoninator'.