PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rear Admiral Parry does not hold back re the engine problems on the latest destroyers
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 20:57
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh? Dilettante boy racers may fit turbochargers or superchargers in pursuit of speed and power. Serious boy racers will also fit an intercooler between the blower and the cylinders to reduce the charge temperature, increase charge density and provide even greater power. Pretty well every turbodiesel car and truck on the road has an intercooler to increase the maximuym power capacity and improve efficiency.

I believe the device you are referring to is actually a heat-exchanger, which is used to transfer waste heat energy from the exhaust back into the intake air to improve overall thermal efficiency. The fact that matlots can't grasp the difference is a shortcoming in the matlot intellect rather than the boy-racer one.
Huh? Why not read the post before replying so inaccurately?

As I said, they may well fit superchargers but I guarantee you none have ever fitted an intercooler. Look up what an intercooler is. No car or truck on the road has one.

To quote yourself, but in the pursuit of accuracy this time, and to repeat myself, "I believe the device you're referring to is actually an "aftercooler". If the motor industry chooses to misname a technical aviation derived device there is no need for us to do so too, is there?
Quite unlike your toy Vauxhalls it looks as if the device on the ships is indeed an intercooler as it is placed between the low and high pressure turbines - unless I've misread the script.

You might also notice I made no comment on the heat exchanger so correction on that point is superfluous to say the least.

Last edited by Wageslave; 2nd Aug 2016 at 21:15.