PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Derek Davidson
Thread: Derek Davidson
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 13:33
Momoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parson,

although there is nothing like being in your own bed, the 3 week intensive course I did meant that I lived and breathed aviation for the entire period.

I wanted a PPL and there was nothing else on my mind, I did struggle initially as I was trying to take in learning to fly (although I had about 3 hours stick time) through a friend, getting exams out of the way and it was a very steep curve.
Getting exams out of the way and being able to concentrate on flying was a big milestone and going solo was the other big one.

I strongly believe that immersing myself was the best way for me and might work for others too, we are all different but flying virtually every day consolidated what I had learnt, basically, there was no appreciable time lapses to forget anything.

This meant that I became confident of my nav skills and would use NDB's and VOR's to cross check position to the extent that I would get navex's when the weather was less than optimal.

Chipping away at a PPL at weekends and a few hours in the week doesn't give you that, maybe this suits some people but it definitely will take longer and it will almost certainly cost you more, not just in up front capital but in incidental costs such as travelling.

The OP is frustrated with their lack of progress so with all the ground work completed, I would try a weeks intensive course and see how that goes.
If it goes well, the confidence gained will go a long way to ensuring the rest of the flying part of the PPL is completed expediently.