PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Derek Davidson
Thread: Derek Davidson
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 09:55
Parson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
r10bbr

Don't be disheartened about what has happened. What's done is done - draw a line under it and set yourself a plan for the rest of your flying (and career if that is what you intend).

I wouldn't recommend rushing to get your PPL done so that you can start your ground school. The PPL isn't a 'tick in the box' on your way to becoming a professional pilot. You are learning fundamental skills that you will build on later and you do not want to develop any bad habits.

The CPL is really just a glorified PPL in a complex aircraft, flown to tighter limits. And the IR is effectively visual flying by other means. If you can't fly straight and level and in trim at PPL level you are going struggle with your IR course. I'm not up to speed with current rates but I suspect that a typical IR training route is pushing £1000 these days so any extra training needed is going to hurt....

Try schools close to home initially - always good to be in your own bed at night. Explain your situation and find an instructor/school you are comfortable with and come up with a plan to complete your PPL and importantly hone the skills you will need as you develop.

And don't forget to enjoy it....