PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To scab or not to scab in Cathay, that's the question !
Old 3rd Aug 2001, 14:29
Rommel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I very much doubt that direct entry pilots will appear at Cathay,getting type rated pilots is one thing,but getting them up and running as line pilots at CX is another,and time ladies and gents is money.The DFO knows this,and goodwill is very,very hard to regain once lost,this is sailing very close to the wind indeed,it is a "Cold War" stand off.As the Americans found later,the perceived threat was far less potent than originally thought.Only time will tell on this one,either management ease up,or I believe CX will go under eventually in time,certainly as a place to work.

Cathay have an enviable reputation amongst first world carriers,with passengers and pilots alike,however,this is partly due to the fact that in the SE Asia region Cathay have not suffered a hull loss,whilst neighbouring carriers have a somewhat less enviable reputation,passegers know this too.
Why I hear you ask?Because of the standard of the Flt Ops division and pilots,which is now quite amazingly being jeopardised.
It will IMHO be a SHORT term gain,but almost inevitably a LONG term LOSS to Cathay if contract pilots are hired to break the pilots,I for one am shocked to see this type of behaviour from a once great airline.I use the past tense,as I fear the best days are well and truly gone.Good luck,I sincerely hope a successful outcome is achieved.Quo vardis