PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush pilot options?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 03:32
vector4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get your Instructor ratings and teach for a while. Great way to build hours, flexible schedule, exposure to a number of different aircraft. Then re-evaluate. My experience: you'll learn more from your first 200 hours of teaching people to fly than you did in your first 200 hours of learning to fly.

I would hate to see you abandon a good nursing career for loads of debt to score a $20k per year job that might disappear.

My Dad was one of the LUCKY ones. Retired as an international L1011 Capt with a major airline. Flew all over the world. When I was young, I wanted to be just like him so bad I could just taste it. Unfortunately, I was nowhere near competitive with all the ex military pilots getting out after Vietnam. Dad told me the real fun of flying was flying your own airplane how, when, where you want, not driving a "bus". (his word)

Wound up in ATC. Finished 31 years, retired, fly my own plane when/where/how I want. Govt pension. And nearly every major US airline that existed in 1976 has either vanished or gone bankrupt and slashed their retirement funds.

Dad was sooooo right, and I tell him "Thank You" often.