PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Derek Davidson
Thread: Derek Davidson
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2016, 20:38
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r10bbr, some of what you say seems a bit strange. You haven't soloed yet, after 40+ hours. That in itself is normal for some of us. It took me that long, and some others too. But it usually means you haven't reached the standard for an instructor to let you fly an aircraft alone. There are many reasons for that. It may be due to poor instruction, lack of aptitude, slow learning ability, unsuitable weather, a difficult airfield at which to learn, and possibly other reasons too. In my case and I suspect many others, it was all of the above.

Now, it may be that you're different, and for some reason your instructors are holding you back although you're good enough to go solo, but it seems unlikely. That rarely happens. Either way, it's about time you changed school and instructor, and try to get some honest feedback as to what your problems are, and why you haven't soloed yet.

As to trying to finish by September, you might, but it's going to be hard. You summarise the exercises you have to do; well, trust me, that's quite a lot! If you're a very fast learner and have good instruction and ideal weather you might manage it in three weeks, but most people wouldn't. It may well take you longer, and maybe you should get used to that idea.

On that point, please don't worry if it takes you a long time. I don't agree with what Genghis said; even some of us slow learners can 'go pro'. It just takes us a little longer, that's all. I got my CPL and instructor's rating, but eventually I gave up expecting to do anything at all in minimum hours. As a newish helicopter instructor, I had a student who couldn't seem to learn, and I passed him on to the CFI in case it was my fault. This chap wanted to get a CPL(H), but eventually a couple of instructors sat down with him and explained that he could probably do it, but it would take a long time. He was so relieved to realise he could make it and we weren't giving up on him that his flying improved quite a bit. You see, putting yourself under time pressure doesn't help, and often hinders your progress!

So I'd say stop trying to rush things, find a school and instructor you get on with, and learn at YOUR pace. Of course I may be wrong in all of the above, because you haven't told us everything and I'm not psychic; this is just based on what I think has been happening. Feel free to ignore all I've said if you want. But hopefully some of it will help.